No information from persons under 21 years of age. If you are under theage of21, please do not attempt to register for BFLY or provide any personal information about yourself to us. If we learn that we have collected information from a person under age 21, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a person under age 21, please contact us.
Information We Receive
Information you provide to us:
- Information about yourself. When you optionally sign up for BFLY you provide us with your email address, a username, and a password. You will also be permitted to create a personal profile, including your picture, gender, birth date, location, and more.
- Content. One of the primary reasons people use BFLY is to share content with others. Examples include when you create your profile, make a comment about a place, share a link, contact another BFLY user, or write a note. If you do not want us to store metadata associated with content you share on BFLY (such as photos), please remove the metadata before uploading the content.
Information we collect when you interact with BFLY:
- Site activity information. We keep track of some of the actions you take on BFLY, such as contacts you make with other users, tips, recipes or other content that you share with other users, and links that you upload. In some cases you are also taking an action when you provide information or content to us. For example, if you share a photo or video, in addition to storing the actual content you uploaded, we might track the fact that you shared it.
- Access Device and Browser Information. When you access BFLY from a computer, mobile phone, or other device, we may collect information from that device about your browser type, location, and IP address, as well as the pages you visit.
- Cookie Information. We use “cookies” (small pieces of data we store for an extended period of time on your computer, mobile phone, or other device) to make BFLY easier to use, to make our advertising better, and to protect both you and BFLY. For example, we use them to store your login ID to make it easier for you to login whenever you come back to BFLY. We also use them to confirm that you are logged into BFLY, and to know when you are interacting with BFLY applications and websites, as well as advertisements. You can remove or block cookies using the settings in your browser, but in some cases that may impact your ability to use BFLY. Cookies stored while using the mobile application can not be blocked.
Information we receive from third parties:
- Information from other websites. We may institute programs with advertising partners and other websites in which they share information with us.
We may ask advertisers to tell us how our users respond to the ads we showed them (and for comparison purposes, how other users who didn’t see the adds acted on their site). This data sharing, commonly known as “conversion tracking,” helps us measure our advertising effectiveness and improve the quality of the advertisements you see.
We may receive information about whether or not you’ve seen or interacted with certain ads on other sites in order to measure the effectiveness of those adds.
If in any of these cases we receive data that we do not already have, we will “anonymize” it within 180 days, meaning we will stop associating the information with any particular user. If we institute these programs, we will only use the information in the ways we explain in the “How We Use Your Information” section below.
- Login Authorization. We may receive authorization data/codes from third party services we offer to simplify the account login process (i.e. you log in with your Facebook login). The third party service may also share profile information from that service should you accept and allow to help populate your BFLY profile.
- Information from other users. We may collect information about you from other BFLY users.
How we use your information.
We use the information we collect to try to provide a safe, efficient, and customized experience. Here are some of the details on how we do that:
- To contact you. We may contact you with service-related announcements from time to time. You may opt out of all communications except essential updates on your personal account information page. We may include content you see on BFLY in the emails we send to you.
- To serve personalized advertising to you. We don’t share your information with advertisers without your consent. We allow advertisers to choose the characteristics of users who will see their advertisements and we may use any of the non-personally identifiable attributes we have collected to select the appropriate audience for those advertisements. Even though we do not share your information with advertisers without your consent, when you click on or otherwise interact with an advertisement there is a possibility that the advertiser may place a cookie in your browser and note that it meets the criteria they selected.
- To supplement your profile.
How We Share Information.
- When you choose to share your information with marketers. You may choose to share information with marketers or electronic commerce providers that are not associated with BFLY through offset offers. This is entirely at your discretion and we will not provide your information to these marketers without your consent:
- To help improve or promote our service. Sometimes we share aggregated information with third parties to help improve or promote our service. But we do so in such a way that no individual user can be identified or linked to any specific action or information.
- To provide you with services. We may provide information to service providers that help us bring you the services we offer. For example, we may use third parties to host our website, send out email updates about BFLY, remove repetitive information from our user lists, process payments, or provide search results or links (including sponsored links). These service providers may have access to your personal information for a limited time, but when this occurs we implement reasonable contractual and technical protections to limit their use of that information to helping us provide the service.
- To advertise our services. We may ask advertisers outside BFLY to display ads promoting our services. We may ask them to deliver those ads based on the presence of a cookie, but in doing so will not share any other information with the advertiser.
How You Can Change or Remove Information
- Editing your profile. You may change or remove your profile information at any time by going to your profile page and editing your information. Items changed will be updated immediately.
- Deactivating or deleting your account. If you want to stop using your account you may deactivate it or delete it. When you deactivate an account, no user will be able to see it, but it will not be deleted. We save your profile information in case you later decide to reactivate your account. You will still have the ability to reactivate your account and restore your profile in its entirety. When you delete an account, it is permanently deleted from BFLY. You should only delete your account if you are certain you never want to reactivate it.
Limitations on removal. Even after you remove information from your profile or delete your account, copies of that information may remain viewable elsewhere to the extent it has been shared with others or it was copied or stored by other users. However, your name will no longer be associated with the information on BFLY. Additionally, we may retain certain information to prevent identify theft and other misconduct even if deletion has been requested. If you have given third party applications or websites access to your information, they may retain your information to the extent permitted under their terms of service or privacy policies.
- Backup copies. Removed and deleted information may persist in backup copies for up to 90 days, but will not be available to others.
How We Protect Information.
We do our best to keep your information secure, but we need your help.
- Risks inherent in sharing information. No security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We cannot control the actions of other users with whom you share your information. We cannot guarantee that only authorized persons will view your information. We cannot guarantee that information you share on BFLY will not become publicly available. We are not responsible for third party circumvention of any security measures on BFLY. You can reduce these risks by using common sense security practices such as choosing a strong password, using different passwords for different services, and using up to date antivirus software.
- Report Violations. You should report any security violations to BFLY.
- Consent to Collection and Processing in the United States. By using BFLY, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States.